I just received an email from a very dear friend that put the subject of balance in perspective. Perhaps it’s an “end game” perspective, but if you think about it if we are lucky we will all get to experience this view. It is a lesson, I think, about what is really important at the end of the day. I hope you enjoy it and take a few moments to apply it to your life.
A WARNING – When you first start reading this blog you’ll probably be reading fast until you reach the third paragraph. If so, please stop and start over, reading slower, and please whether you are in your 30’s, 40’s, 50’s or 60’s and beyond think about every word. I hope you find the message very thought provoking. If it really makes you stop and think, then read it again!
THE BACK NINE HOLES… AND THEN IT IS WINTER.
You know… time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.
It seems just yesterday that I was young, just having kids, and embarking on my new life with my degree and my mate.
Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all and I have glimpses of how it was back then with of all my hopes and dreams.
But, here it is… the back nine of my life and it catches me by surprise… how did I get here so fast?
Where did the all the years go and where did my youth go?
I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that I was only on the first hole and the back nine was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.
But, here it is… my friends are retired and getting grey… they move slower and I see an older person now.
Some are in better and some in worse shape than me…but I do see the great change.
They’re not like the ones I remember who were young and vibrant…but, like me, their age is beginning to show. We are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we’d become.
Each day now, I find that just taking a shower is a real target for the day!
And taking a nap is not a treat anymore…it’s mandatory! Because if I don’t on my own free will…I may just fall asleep where I sit.
So now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done and never did!!! But, at least I do know that I’m on the back nine, and I’m not sure how long it will last…2 or 3, or maybe even 15 or 20 more years?
This I also know, when it’s over on this earth… it’s over, and we can look forward to the next adventure.
Yes, I have regrets.
There are things I wish I hadn’t done and things I should have done…but there are many things I’m so happy I have done…everyone’s lifetime is like that.
If you’re not on the back nine yet… let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, please do it quickly! Don’t put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly… do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether you’re on the back nine yet, or not!
You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life…so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember…and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have said and done for them in all the years past!!!
Have you noticed…
- Your kids are becoming you… but your grandchildren are perfect… so far!
- Going out is good… coming home is better!
- You forget names… but it’s OK because some people forget they even knew you!!!
- You realize you’re never again going to be really good at anything.
- The things you used to care to do, you are not as interested in doing anymore, but you really do care that you aren’t as interested.
- You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV ‘ON’ than in bed. It’s called “pre-sleep.”
- You miss the days when everything worked with just an “ON” and “OFF” switch.
- You tend to use more 4 letter words like “what?” and “when?”
- You notice everything they sell in stores is “sleeveless”!!!
- What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
- Everybody whispers!!! You have come to expect that people will repeat what they just said to you.
- You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet… 2 of which you will never wear again.
- Allow fond memories of wonderful times to be part of your everyday life…and think often of the great old friends who’ve departed and how much they meant to you.
- Know that OLD is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!
“Life” is a gift.
The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one. LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Remember “It is health that is real wealth and not those pieces of gold and silver”…even though we’d all prefer to shed our tears in the back seat of a Rolls Royce than on a park bench.
LIVE HAPPY IN 2015 and Beyond!
Always remember…It’s not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Today is the oldest you’ve ever been, yet the youngest you’ll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.
Send this on to other “Old and Young Friends!” and let them smile in AGREEMENT and learn!!!